I've wanted to shoot 35mm film with sprockets in a 120 film camera for some time. Finally, got around to it. I like the look and had seen it done several times. After researching how to do it, I decided to temporarily hack my Holga 120N. Here is an earlier blog post on my DIY hack
I think I did it right, so I went out to shoot a roll of FujiColor Superia 400. I shot in the daylight outdoors after a studio digital model test shoot.
Everything seemed to work A-OK. I rerolled the film into the canister in a dark bag. I then processed the film using C-41 chemistry purchased from the Film Photography Podcast Store. At the same time I developed a roll of C-41 shot in a normal 35mm film camera that I trusted as a development control.
Basically, it didn't work (the control did). All of my shots were super soft (beyond normal Holga soft), and all were way under exposed. I didn't get images on about 1/2 the 14 photos. The others were dark and had colors hard to extract.
My normal flatbed scanner used for 35mm film wouldn't work. Therefore, I used a small light box with a DIY template and photographed the negatives with a Nikon D810 using a Nikkor 60mm Macro f/2.8 lens. That part was fairly straight forward. Here's the scanner bed hack
I then brought 3 images into Adobe Photoshop, reversed the image and played with the colors using curves & levels. Each image was different with it's own unique look.
Here are a couple more of the photos from around the studio. One of model Gracie Be leaving the studio and one of a train passing by the back of my studio.
Come on, honestly, these images are sh*t, but you know what they are kind of cool. It was a super fun experiment. I'm definitely going to give it a go again with a different camera. Anyway, playing with / experimenting with film is a good Yin to my digital studio Yang. Dig it.